Friday, September 4, 2009

the island--finally

well, we finally finished up the kitchen island.
why is it so hard to pick paint colors, finishes, and knobs??!
i really think the island finishes the kitchen exactly the way we wanted.
sorta beachy, sorta traditional, sorta different.


john framed it out and added some quarter round to finish it.
he filled all the cracks and nail holes with wood filler.
sand, repeat, sand again.
then our friend april beat it up, painted and glazed.


the process took a while. and i'll be honest, it was a big fat pain in the butt.
not hard to do--but the waiting about killed me.
i'm so impatient.


my favorite part is that it doesn't match the current trends.
we did what we liked and that was hard. especially when everyone told me a blue distressed island with crystal knobs was crazy.


so there you have it.
in the future we'd like to put in a couple of glass-front cabinets and of course get some new appliances.
for now though, we love it and really can't even remember how the kitchen looked before.

13 comments:

nana said...

Amy and John ,i have to admit i was'nt to keen on a blue island, but i looks amazing! April is great once again! How is Josh and Ben doing? I sure hope Anna does'nt get sick now! love to all and go STATE! Nana

nana said...

Amy and John ,i have to admit i was'nt to keen on a blue island, but i looks amazing! April is great once again! How is Josh and Ben doing? I sure hope Anna does'nt get sick now! love to all and go STATE! Nana

kellymac429 said...

Hey Ame...LOVE IT!...my fav. color.You guys did a great job : )

Rachel said...

I love the pictures of the island. Where did you purchase the crystal knobs?
-Rachel

Kylie Mc said...

I just found your blog and I really like it. I love all your Mommy talk!

You are a great Mom and so very inspirational. I'll be stopping by again, I'm sure. :-)

e.e. said...

I am a new reader, but just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing such inspiring posts!

Chloe said...

I think you are crazy brilliant... what is that color... its yummy! I love the distressing and it gives you that customized look with the glass knobs!

Vanessa said...

It looks beautiful! Fantastic job.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I don't even love blue, but this looks AMAZING! I'm seeing more and more blue everywhere I look these days, and it's really growing on me. I would totally put this island in my kitchen!

Shanty 2 Chic said...

LOVE it... my favorite color and it looks beautiful! Doesn't it make you smile when you look at it now??!
~Whitney

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

What a gorgeous color! What a statement your island makes. I want one now! :)

Sarah said...

Great job! I was looking over the older pictures of your kitchen and I have to know where to find those aqua bowls with the floral design! You should definitely add some glass front cabinet doors, you have a great collection.

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

well thanks so much for leaving that comment...so glad I saw this! absolutely lovely. I'm so ready to do mine now. you got me all kinds of fired up!!! ;)